Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

[Sorry again for cross-posting, perhaps we should set up a
jcr-interest@ mailing list somewhere]

The ApacheCon planners are asking for Apache projects to self-organize
content for the upcoming ApacheCon US in November this year. It would
be cool to have a track related to content repositories and content
management. Jackrabbit and Sling would form a nice core for such a
track, but we could also include sessions on things like Chemistry and
other related projects.

The planners would like an indication of interest ASAP, so I will
contact them about this if people think it's a good idea. In previous
ApacheCons we've typically had a few related presentations and a BoF
session or a Meetup. Based on that I think we could well organize
something like a half-day track of presentations and workshops
followed by a more informal community meetup in the evening.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Felix Meschberger-2
Hi Jukka,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> [Sorry again for cross-posting, perhaps we should set up a
> jcr-interest@ mailing list somewhere]

Maybe that would be a good idea. In the OSGi world we have kind of the
same "problem".

> The ApacheCon planners are asking for Apache projects to self-organize
> content for the upcoming ApacheCon US in November this year. It would
> be cool to have a track related to content repositories and content
> management. Jackrabbit and Sling would form a nice core for such a
> track, but we could also include sessions on things like Chemistry and
> other related projects.
>
> The planners would like an indication of interest ASAP, so I will
> contact them about this if people think it's a good idea. In previous
> ApacheCons we've typically had a few related presentations and a BoF
> session or a Meetup. Based on that I think we could well organize
> something like a half-day track of presentations and workshops
> followed by a more informal community meetup in the evening.

+1

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Paolo Mottadelli

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would
> be cool to have a track related to content repositories and content
> management

I like your idea. This is based on the same idea of the
'Interoperability' one, that I mentioned some days ago.

> Jackrabbit and Sling would form a nice core for such a
> track, but we could also include sessions on things like Chemistry and
> other related projects.

POI is often used in CM contexts and products; do you think that such
a project could fall within such a track?

Cheers,

--
Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...I think we could well organize
> something like a half-day track of presentations and workshops
> followed by a more informal community meetup in the evening....

+1

I'm sure we can easily fill a half-day track with Jacrkabbit, Sling,
Chemistry, and by inviting related projects like POI, Tika, etc. to
contribute.

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Paolo Mottadelli
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm sure we can easily fill a half-day track with Jacrkabbit, Sling,
> Chemistry, and by inviting related projects like POI, Tika, etc. to
> contribute.

+1
I'm forwarding this message to the POI community, which is strongly
willing to join some other project.
I've also submitted a proposal about 'POI' (besides one about 'CMIS'
and another about 'Apache in Open Source ECM')
Hope this is going to help.

Cheers,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Paolo Mottadelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm forwarding this message to the POI community, which is strongly
> willing to join some other project.

I've just had a first positive feedback for POI joining the Content Track.
Which is the time frame we have to manage in designing the proposal?

--
Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Jukka Zitting

See below for the proposal that I sent to the conference planners.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

The Jackrabbit and Sling projects would like to organize a "Content
Technology" track at the ApacheCon US 2009. The track would be focused
on content repositories and content management based on the JCR and
CMIS standards.

We estimate that we could do something like a half-day track followed
by a more informal meetup in the evening. This would be a natural
extension to the meetups and normal sessions we've had in previous
ApacheCons.

We could also enlarge the scope of the track to cover a wider range of
projects like Cocoon, Lenya, Portals, POI, etc. in which case the
track could cover even something like 1-2 days. However, such plans
are mostly speculative at the moment.

The target audience of this track would mostly consist of web
developers and CMS (both web and enterprise) developers and
integrators. We might also do a more business-oriented session on the
current status of standardization in the content management industry.

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Michael Wechner
Jukka Zitting schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> [Sorry again for cross-posting, perhaps we should set up a
> jcr-interest@ mailing list somewhere]
>
> The ApacheCon planners are asking for Apache projects to self-organize
> content for the upcoming ApacheCon US in November this year. It would
> be cool to have a track related to content repositories and content
> management. Jackrabbit and Sling would form a nice core for such a
> track, but we could also include sessions on things like Chemistry and
> other related projects.

Maybe lenya devs could also participate

Cheers

Michael

> The planners would like an indication of interest ASAP, so I will
> contact them about this if people think it's a good idea. In previous
> ApacheCons we've typically had a few related presentations and a BoF
> session or a Meetup. Based on that I think we could well organize
> something like a half-day track of presentations and workshops
> followed by a more informal community meetup in the evening.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Michael Wechner
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting schrieb:
>> The ApacheCon planners are asking for Apache projects to self-organize
>> content for the upcoming ApacheCon US in November this year. It would
>> be cool to have a track related to content repositories and content
>> management. Jackrabbit and Sling would form a nice core for such a
>> track, but we could also include sessions on things like Chemistry and
>> other related projects.
>
> Maybe lenya devs could also participate

Sure, that would be great!

I didn't yet hear back from the conference planners about this. I'll
ping them again.

PS. I've created an initial planning page [1] for the proposed content track.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/ContentTrackApacheConUs2009

BR,

Jukka Zitting

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Paolo Mottadelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Paolo Mottadelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm forwarding this message to the POI community, which is strongly
>> willing to join some other project.
>
> I've just had a first positive feedback for POI joining the Content Track.
> Which is the time frame we have to manage in designing the proposal?

Not sure. We just made the extended deadline last Thursday for
expressing initial interest.

AFAIK, once the conference planners respond with an OK, we have a few
weeks to plan the program for the track. The plan will then be
presented to the conference planners who make final decisions on the
conference schedule.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Jukka Zitting

[Cross-posting to Sling, Chemistry, and Jackrabbit. Feel free to reply
on only the list(s) you're most interested in. I'm following them all.
:-)]

The ApacheCon organizers have allocated two full days for the Content
Technology track, and I'm now moving forward to fill up that schedule.

Anyone interested in participating in the planning and organizing the
JCR-related program at the ApacheCon? The Content Technology track is
already getting pretty crowded so I probably can't promise more than a
single normal session with speaker benefits (note that unlike before,
speaker travel is not covered) per project, but we can also arrange
space for unofficial sessions, workshops, meetups, etc. To do this, I
need people who'd like to help in planning and organizing the event.
Any volunteers?

Since the speaker selection comes with benefits (conference pass, some
hotel nights covered, etc.) and I'm one of the candidate speakers, I'd
like to form a small committee of community members to select the
JCR-related sessions to be included in this track. Anyone interested
in helping out with this?

See the suggestions below and
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/ContentTrackApacheConUs2009 for more
information.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

SUGGESTIONS

* People pay to see the scheduled content at ApacheCon. Provide
material which will reach and attract our paying audience. If you have
Geeks for Geeks content to present, please save that for the daytime
un-con tracks, or evening MeetUps/BOFs. Consider that people attending
the main tracks probably need to have a clear business case for
registration costs - but your community are free to attend the free
evening programming (and that's free as in beer!), so choose
appropriately!

* Work with your community. Some of the best presentations have been
from presenters who don't belong to that project's PMC.

* Be creative! You're not limited to the strict 50-minute-sessions
model. You can organize the schedule in whatever way makes the most
sense for your project's content. (Ensure that your attendees still
get their coffee- and lunch-breaks and keynote sessions.)

* The main track drives paid attendence, so you must submit
well-written proposals. If the proposals are not clearly written, and
answer "Who, What, and Why?", then what can be expected of the
presentations? We've reviewed the proposals that were received in the
main CFP, and they accompany this email. You can use these verbatim
(appropriately edited for spelling/to fit the program!), or work with
the submitters to refine them to work better within the track you're
planning and/or solicit completely new proposals. Use whichever
solution creates the most effective program.

* During the day, we will run un-con tracks on Wednesday through
Friday in smaller rooms (capacity ~50), also coordinated by PMCs. They
do not need to be formalized until the morning of the track, but
guidance for the prospective audience can be gathered on the un-con
tracks' wiki pages. Registration will be required to attend these
parallel tracks, but they're a great place to schedule the
?Geeks4Geeks content that's really interesting for a narrower
audience.

FREE STUFF!

During the day, on Monday and Tuesday, we will run a free BarCamp
alongside the traditional Hackathon. The space set aside for the
BarCamp and Hackathon is truly massive, and should have a very open
feel without excessive background noise. By colocating these events,
we can enable attendees to jump between hacking together and attending
BarCamp sessions.

Free evening activities include MeetUps and BOFs. These will be
organized by the PMCs, and can be scheduled for any night from Sunday
through Thursday. Wednesday night is set aside for the free BIG
FEATHER BIRTHDAY BASH! and Welcome Reception. We expect to attract
many commuting attendees from the Bay Area, both for the main program
(paid registration required) and for all of these free events and
opportunities.

REALITY CHECK

Of course the economic realities do not permit the Conference Producer
to cover the costs of everyone who has information to present to such
a diverse audience of this many topics. For this conference, for each
hour of main track material, the Producer will be covering one (1)
hotel night plus one (1) conference pass, and will provide an
additional (1) night for overseas travelers. However, the conference
will not be paying airfare for speakers from the US and Canada, and
will work on a limited case-by-case basis with those from overseas.
And with so many friends in the Bay Area, those who are not covered
can consider staying with fellow ASF members who are willing to host.

If you're not sure how this will work for you, or what it means when
you start getting creative with the program, please check with your
planning-mentor.

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Carsten Ziegeler
Hi Jukka,

yes, I'm interested in helping (I also planned this years Felix/OSGi track)

Jukka Zitting wrote:

> [...]
> to cover the costs of everyone who has information to present to such
> a diverse audience of this many topics. For this conference, for each
> hour of main track material, the Producer will be covering one (1)
> hotel night plus one (1) conference pass, and will provide an
> additional (1) night for overseas travelers. However, the conference
> will not be paying airfare for speakers from the US and Canada, and
> will work on a limited case-by-case basis with those from overseas.
> And with so many friends in the Bay Area, those who are not covered
> can consider staying with fellow ASF members who are willing to host.
>
> If you're not sure how this will work for you, or what it means when
> you start getting creative with the program, please check with your
> planning-mentor.

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Arje Cahn
Hey Jukka,

Count me in!

Arje

> [...]

> > REALITY CHECK
> >
> > Of course the economic realities do not permit the Conference Producer
> > to cover the costs of everyone who has information to present to such
> > a diverse audience of this many topics. For this conference, for each
> > hour of main track material, the Producer will be covering one (1)
> > hotel night plus one (1) conference pass, and will provide an
> > additional (1) night for overseas travelers. However, the conference
> > will not be paying airfare for speakers from the US and Canada, and
> > will work on a limited case-by-case basis with those from overseas.
> > And with so many friends in the Bay Area, those who are not covered
> > can consider staying with fellow ASF members who are willing to host.
> >
> > If you're not sure how this will work for you, or what it means when
> > you start getting creative with the program, please check with your

Kind regards,
Met vriendelijke groet,

Arjé Cahn

Hippo

[hidden email] / [hidden email]

San Francisco - Hippo USA Inc. 101 H Street, suite Q Petaluma CA 94952-5100
+1 (707) 773-4646

www.onehippo.com [hidden email]

Get Hippo CMS 7 at http://www.onehippo.org
My blog: http://blogs.hippo.nl/arje

"It’s not knowledge that’s power, it’s recall of and access to knowledge
that’s power" - Jamais Cascio

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Jukka Zitting<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...Since the speaker selection comes with benefits (conference pass, some
> hotel nights covered, etc.) and I'm one of the candidate speakers, I'd
> like to form a small committee of community members to select the
> JCR-related sessions to be included in this track. Anyone interested
> in helping out with this?...

Happy to help, though I have also submitted a proposal.

Elsewhere someone suggested using the Apache's STV voting system to
let the community select proposals. Not sure how to implement this,
and how we could involve non-committers in it, but I like the idea.

Re: Content Technology track at the ApacheCon US 2009

Paolo Mottadelli
Hi all,

I'm helping in sorting out things within the POI project.
How should we merge proposals from all the ConTechTrack and build an organic
overall proposal?
What should we take as the Track mailing list (if in any way needed...)?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Paolo Mottadelli<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm helping in sorting out things within the POI project. How should we merge
> proposals from all the ConTechTrack and build an organic overall proposal?

Given the responses I've been getting from the involved projects, I
would suggest the following allocation of talks (10 session slots
available):

    Jackrabbit/Sling/Chemistry: 2-3 sessions
    Wicket: 1-2 sessions
    POI: 1 session
    Others: 2-4 sessions
    FFT: 2 sessions

The FFT part would be a two-hour mini "Fast Feather Track" where we
could do short 15 minute presentations on all sorts of related topics.

> What should we take as the Track mailing list (if in any way needed...)?

I guess the best shared place is community@, I assume most of the key
people are watching that list and I'll make sure to inform everyone of
any important decisions there.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Paolo Mottadelli<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm helping in sorting out things within the POI project. How should we merge
>> proposals from all the ConTechTrack and build an organic overall proposal?
>
> Given the responses I've been getting from the involved projects, I
> would suggest the following allocation of talks (10 session slots
> available):
>
>     Jackrabbit/Sling/Chemistry: 2-3 sessions
>     Wicket: 1-2 sessions
>     POI: 1 session
>     Others: 2-4 sessions
>     FFT: 2 sessions
>
> The FFT part would be a two-hour mini "Fast Feather Track" where we
> could do short 15 minute presentations on all sorts of related topics.

I'm not against a FFT - but as I helped to get the FFT running several
times I was always disappointed at the very low attendance. I guess if
people prefer having a long (50min) session instead of having three
short ones.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Carsten Ziegeler<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> The FFT part would be a two-hour mini "Fast Feather Track" where we
>> could do short 15 minute presentations on all sorts of related topics.
>>
> I'm not against a FFT - but as I helped to get the FFT running several
> times I was always disappointed at the very low attendance. I guess if
> people prefer having a long (50min) session instead of having three
> short ones.

Good point. I dropped the FFT concept from the schedule to make more
room for normal sessions.

BR,

Jukka Zitting