Hosting Sling

Andreas Schaefer-5
Hi

Does anyone have experience with hosting a small Apache Sling site?

Or is the best solution to run Sling on a Cloud Server (AWS, Azure etc)?

Cheers - Andy

Re: Hosting Sling

Chris Millar
I host experiencemanaged.com on Linode with the official Sling Docker
container. There's a cache in front for the public facing site that is
{cough} very similar to Dispatcher. I use Let's Encrypt for my certs.

One thing I have found is that 'production' Sling + Oak needs at least
1.2GB of heap for garbage collection / compaction / etc to reliably run for
long periods (months+). Someone who is better at Oak / Java tuning might
have better luck here to get that requirement lower.

I would maybe consider Azure or AWS instead of Linode these days, but there
would have to be a compelling reason.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM Andreas Schaefer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience with hosting a small Apache Sling site?
>
> Or is the best solution to run Sling on a Cloud Server (AWS, Azure etc)?
>
> Cheers - Andy

Re: Hosting Sling

klcodanr
I have a bit, honestly I'd just run it in the cloud.

I'm using a reserved t3a.micro instance for my personal website. I would
say you need at least 1 vCPU and 1GB of memory to keep it up and stable any
less than that and you have to do swapping and that's.... bad. With a
1-year reservation it's only ~$50 / year.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Vagrant setup for Sling CMS as there's
some good stuff in there around configuring Apache httpd to act as a proxy
and caching layer. I'd also just recommend taking a look at Sling CMS as
it's a pretty nice quickstart to getting a working website in Sling.

https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-app-cms

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:48 PM Andreas Schaefer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience with hosting a small Apache Sling site?
>
> Or is the best solution to run Sling on a Cloud Server (AWS, Azure etc)?
>
> Cheers - Andy

Re: Hosting Sling

Mahsum Demir
I am also using apache sling cms with vagrant in front of apache server. All of the components are inside a docker container and  it is running in the smallest Digitial Ocean droplet with 2gbs of swap memory.

It costs me 5 US dollars in a month.