[RT] Catapult

12

[RT] Catapult

Carsten Ziegeler
As you might have noticed during the past weeks (or is it already
months?), I came up with this great idea of using the name "catapult"
for "something" in Sling.

Some liked it (I hope), some did not (don't know why).

I can't help myself but I can't get this name out of my head and the
more I think about it, the more I like it. And to be honest, I like it
even more than "Sling" as a name.

We are creating something great and new here, and looking at what we do
and how much code we already have, we are creating something really
really exciting and big. So "catapult" is a much better fit as a project
name than "sling". (Remember catapult is a big sling).

Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project.

Lazy consensus applies; if noone objects today, I'll rename the stuff
tomorrow (I already have a running 'catapult' on my drive).

Thanks

Re: [RT] Catapult

Finally there is a good use for this great name.

+1 for renaming today.

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 11:20 +0200 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:

> As you might have noticed during the past weeks (or is it already
> months?), I came up with this great idea of using the name "catapult"
> for "something" in Sling.
>
> Some liked it (I hope), some did not (don't know why).
>
> I can't help myself but I can't get this name out of my head and the
> more I think about it, the more I like it. And to be honest, I like it
> even more than "Sling" as a name.
>
> We are creating something great and new here, and looking at what we do
> and how much code we already have, we are creating something really
> really exciting and big. So "catapult" is a much better fit as a project
> name than "sling". (Remember catapult is a big sling).
>
> Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project.
>
> Lazy consensus applies; if noone objects today, I'll rename the stuff
> tomorrow (I already have a running 'catapult' on my drive).
>
> Thanks
> Carsten

Re: [RT] Catapult

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project....

+1st - that's a great idea, I agree that what we do is larger than
just a Sling - it is really a Catapult!

But it might be too late...that name is so great that apparently
people stole it the day you mentioned it, and created their little
startup with that name. I'm sure the folks at www.catapult.com would
sue us (that'd be you I guess) immediately if the name changed, or
maybe a bit later, once Sling (er..Catapult) takes over the software
world.

So I guess the change is too risky - or at least that's where we stand today.

Re: [RT] Catapult

Carsten Ziegeler
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project....
>
> +1st - that's a great idea, I agree that what we do is larger than
> just a Sling - it is really a Catapult!
>
> But it might be too late...that name is so great that apparently
> people stole it the day you mentioned it, and created their little
> startup with that name. I'm sure the folks at www.catapult.com would
> sue us (that'd be you I guess) immediately if the name changed, or
> maybe a bit later, once Sling (er..Catapult) takes over the software
> world.
>
> So I guess the change is too risky - or at least that's where we stand today.

Ah, no, that's not a problem at all; they sell hardware, we do software.
And I already asked our legal committee and as long as we refer to our
project as "Apache Catapult" we are absolutely safe.

So, great, I've your +1 and Felix +1, so I can go ahead.

Btw, we should do some nice t-shirts which we can give away next week at
the ApacheCon.

Re: [RT] Catapult

Christian Keller
It's 1st of April, isn't it :-)

On 4/1/08, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you might have noticed during the past weeks (or is it already
> months?), I came up with this great idea of using the name "catapult"
> for "something" in Sling.
>
> Some liked it (I hope), some did not (don't know why).
>
> I can't help myself but I can't get this name out of my head and the
> more I think about it, the more I like it. And to be honest, I like it
> even more than "Sling" as a name.
>
> We are creating something great and new here, and looking at what we do
> and how much code we already have, we are creating something really
> really exciting and big. So "catapult" is a much better fit as a project
> name than "sling". (Remember catapult is a big sling).
>
> Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project.
>
> Lazy consensus applies; if noone objects today, I'll rename the stuff
> tomorrow (I already have a running 'catapult' on my drive).
>
> Thanks
> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Ziegeler

Re: [RT] Catapult

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Christian Keller
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's 1st of April, isn't it :-)

What? I already gave my +1st to Carsten's great proposal and you think
it's a joke?

Re: [RT] Catapult

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 11:55 +0200 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> Btw, we should do some nice t-shirts which we can give away next week at
> the ApacheCon.

That would really be a great idea !

Re: [RT] Catapult

Christian Keller
kind of.
To me catapult is a dinosaurus of a wappon.
But never mind its a matter of tast, which kind of conotations a term
has to somebody.
If I had serious objections, I would have woted with a -1

On 4/1/08, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Christian Keller
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's 1st of April, isn't it :-)
>
> What? I already gave my +1st to Carsten's great proposal and you think
> it's a joke?

Re: [RT] Catapult

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Christian Keller
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's 1st of April, isn't it :-)
>
> What? I already gave my +1st to Carsten's great proposal and you think
> it's a joke?

Ok, I first thought about doing this lame april's fool joke, but then I
thought "hey, wouldn't it be cool to really do this?" - so, as I have
plenty of +1s, I'll change the code as promised.

Re: [RT] Catapult

Alexander Klimetschek
+2 for renaming "sling" to "catapult"

(according to standard ASF procedures, non-committers have 2 votes for
game-changing proposals today)

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek

Re: [RT] Catapult

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Alexander Klimetschek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... (according to standard ASF procedures, non-committers have 2 votes for
>  game-changing proposals today)...

Sorry, I don't think you read today's special procedures correctly,
otherwise you'd have noticed that my +1st above in fact means "over my
dead body". So even a +Integer.MAX_VALUE wouldn't help here ;-)

-Bertrand (loud sarcastic laugh echoes in the dark cave)

Re: [RT] Catapult

Tobias Bocanegra
+1 from me

btw: when david spoke about sling at the TSSJS, we actually got
questions if Day will support 'spring'. so changing the project name
sounds good (sling, slide, spring, ...)

On 4/1/08, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you might have noticed during the past weeks (or is it already
>  months?), I came up with this great idea of using the name "catapult"
>  for "something" in Sling.
>
>  Some liked it (I hope), some did not (don't know why).
>
>  I can't help myself but I can't get this name out of my head and the
>  more I think about it, the more I like it. And to be honest, I like it
>  even more than "Sling" as a name.
>
>  We are creating something great and new here, and looking at what we do
>  and how much code we already have, we are creating something really
>  really exciting and big. So "catapult" is a much better fit as a project
>  name than "sling". (Remember catapult is a big sling).
>
>  Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project.
>
>  Lazy consensus applies; if noone objects today, I'll rename the stuff
>  tomorrow (I already have a running 'catapult' on my drive).
>
>  Thanks
>  Carsten
>
> --
>  Carsten Ziegeler
>  [hidden email]

Re: [RT] Catapult

Carsten Ziegeler
I started the renaming in r644732.

Carsten

Tobias Bocanegra wrote:

> +1 from me
>
> btw: when david spoke about sling at the TSSJS, we actually got
> questions if Day will support 'spring'. so changing the project name
> sounds good (sling, slide, spring, ...)
>
> On 4/1/08, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As you might have noticed during the past weeks (or is it already
>>  months?), I came up with this great idea of using the name "catapult"
>>  for "something" in Sling.
>>
>>  Some liked it (I hope), some did not (don't know why).
>>
>>  I can't help myself but I can't get this name out of my head and the
>>  more I think about it, the more I like it. And to be honest, I like it
>>  even more than "Sling" as a name.
>>
>>  We are creating something great and new here, and looking at what we do
>>  and how much code we already have, we are creating something really
>>  really exciting and big. So "catapult" is a much better fit as a project
>>  name than "sling". (Remember catapult is a big sling).
>>
>>  Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project.
>>
>>  Lazy consensus applies; if noone objects today, I'll rename the stuff
>>  tomorrow (I already have a running 'catapult' on my drive).
>>
>>  Thanks
>>  Carsten
>>
>> --
>>  Carsten Ziegeler
>>  [hidden email]

Re: [RT] Catapult

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 20:29 +0200 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> I started the renaming in r644732.

Good work. We also need an issue to keep track on this: SLING-010408 [1]

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-010408

> Carsten
>
> Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> > +1 from me
> >
> > btw: when david spoke about sling at the TSSJS, we actually got
> > questions if Day will support 'spring'. so changing the project name
> > sounds good (sling, slide, spring, ...)
> >
> > On 4/1/08, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As you might have noticed during the past weeks (or is it already
> >>  months?), I came up with this great idea of using the name "catapult"
> >>  for "something" in Sling.
> >>
> >>  Some liked it (I hope), some did not (don't know why).
> >>
> >>  I can't help myself but I can't get this name out of my head and the
> >>  more I think about it, the more I like it. And to be honest, I like it
> >>  even more than "Sling" as a name.
> >>
> >>  We are creating something great and new here, and looking at what we do
> >>  and how much code we already have, we are creating something really
> >>  really exciting and big. So "catapult" is a much better fit as a project
> >>  name than "sling". (Remember catapult is a big sling).
> >>
> >>  Therefore I propose to change the name to catapult for the whole project.
> >>
> >>  Lazy consensus applies; if noone objects today, I'll rename the stuff
> >>  tomorrow (I already have a running 'catapult' on my drive).
> >>
> >>  Thanks
> >>  Carsten
> >>
> >> --
> >>  Carsten Ziegeler
> >>  [hidden email]

Re: [RT] Catapult

paksegu
Yeah Back home in Ghana (Africa) we used to kill big Birds with Catapult it is Y shape

Christian Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:  kind of.

On 4/1/08, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Christian Keller
> wrote:
> > It's 1st of April, isn't it :-)
>
> What? I already gave my +1st to Carsten's great proposal and you think
> it's a joke?
> -Bertrand

Ransford Segu-Baffoe

[hidden email]

https://serenade.dev.java.net/
http://www.noqturnalmediasystems.com/

---------------------------------

Re: [RT] Catapult

Carsten Ziegeler
Just for the record: as you all might have noticed, this was of course
an aprils fool joke - a lame one I admit, but nevertheless funny. Next
year I have to prepare a better one :)

Ah and of course the svn commit mail was faked as well.

Thanks for participating!

Re: [RT] Catapult

Felix Meschberger-2
I just have to add in Kermit's words: Applause, Applause, Applause ;-)

Thanks alot.

Am Mittwoch, den 02.04.2008, 11:36 +0200 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> Just for the record: as you all might have noticed, this was of course
> an aprils fool joke - a lame one I admit, but nevertheless funny. Next
> year I have to prepare a better one :)
>
> Ah and of course the svn commit mail was faked as well.
>
> Thanks for participating!
>
> Carsten

Re: [RT] Catapult

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Felix Meschberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just have to add in Kermit's words: Applause, Applause, Applause ;-)

+1 Well played, Carsten!

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [RT] Catapult

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just for the record: as you all might have noticed, this was of course an
> aprils fool joke...

Oh no...and I was jumping up and down with excitement already...

Re: [RT] Catapult

paksegu
Thats a Good one...you had me going

Carsten Ziegeler <[hidden email]> wrote:  Just for the record: as you all might have noticed, this was of course