Request for the Sling Feature Starter and Maven Plugin to become a Sling Module

Request for the Sling Feature Starter and Maven Plugin to become a Sling Module

Andreas Schaefer-5
Hi

I updated and tested both the **sling-org-apache-sling-feature-starter** which creates an executable JAR file and the **sling-slingstart-feature-maven-plugin** which does start and stop a Sling instance so that they work like their PM peers.

That said the Sling Starter does only create an executable JAR file and the Slingstart Maven Plugin only supports start and stop. Additional Mojos and support for a Webapp can be added later but for now I wanted to be able to launch Sling FM based through a JAR file and test it in an IT test setting.
In addition the Sling Feature Starter is using an externally created Sling FM file but that will change by either using dedicated FMs (something like the PMs of now) or including bundle artifacts.

With that I would request to promote both from the Sling-Whiteboard into their own Sling Modules to further develop these two modules.

Cheers - Andy

Re: Request for the Sling Feature Starter and Maven Plugin to become a Sling Module

Robert Munteanu-2
Hi Andy,

Glad to see these modules graduate out the incubator :-)

Can you please:

1. List the code locations of the two modules
2. Specify the proposed artifact ids/github repo names
3. Phrase this as a [VOTE]? I think it's fine for it to be lazy - don't
wait for 3 votes, but at least see that no one objects for 72 hours,
maybe longer since a weekend is coming up.

On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 17:21 -0800, Andreas Schaefer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I updated and tested both the **sling-org-apache-sling-feature-
> starter** which creates an executable JAR file and the **sling-
> slingstart-feature-maven-plugin** which does start and stop a Sling
> instance so that they work like their PM peers.
>
> That said the Sling Starter does only create an executable JAR file
> and the Slingstart Maven Plugin only supports start and stop.
> Additional Mojos and support for a Webapp can be added later but for
> now I wanted to be able to launch Sling FM based through a JAR file
> and test it in an IT test setting.
> In addition the Sling Feature Starter is using an externally created
> Sling FM file but that will change by either using dedicated FMs
> (something like the PMs of now) or including bundle artifacts.
>
> With that I would request to promote both from the Sling-Whiteboard
> into their own Sling Modules to further develop these two modules.
>
> Cheers - Andy

Re: Request for the Sling Feature Starter and Maven Plugin to become a Sling Module

Hi Andy,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 2:21 AM Andreas Schaefer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ..I updated and tested both the **sling-org-apache-sling-feature-starter** which creates an executable JAR file and the **sling-slingstart-feature-maven-plugin**
> which does start and stop a Sling instance so that they work like their PM peers...

Nice, and +1 to graduating those as non-whiteboard modules.

I fixed a circular dependency between those modules [1], hopefully
that's ok (and if I missed something feel free to revert), it looked
like a leftover.

-Bertrand

[1] https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/commit/24257a826c33bd48bac7414cb8c547c6077d380c

Re: Request for the Sling Feature Starter and Maven Plugin to become a Sling Module

Andreas Schaefer-5
Hi Betrand

Thanks for catching that.

- Andy