SQL Resource Provider?

Jason E Bailey-2
Has anyone ever used a SQL resource provider or know where I can find such a thing?

- Jason

RE: SQL Resource Provider?

Stefan Seifert
hello jason.

if you are using oak you might try the RDBDocumentStore [1] and RDBBlobStore [2] implementation (i've never used them myself).

for using a lightweight approach accessing a RDBMS directly from a resource provider the is no support currently afaik.
if you are looking for a generic storage of resource data in RDBMS the generic nosql support [3] might be a good starting point (although that is a bit outdated as well and I assume not much used in practice). if you want to write a specific resource provider for a "real data model" stored in RDBMS i did a very rough prototype some years ago, but never used it in real life [4].

stefan

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/document/rdb/RDBDocumentStore.html
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/document/rdb/RDBBlobStore.html
[3] https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/nosql-resource-providers.html
[4] https://adapt.to/2012/en/schedule/apache-sling-rdbms-mapping.html

Re: SQL Resource Provider?

Jason E Bailey-2
Thought that would be the answer. I'll check out the prototype, thanks.

It'll be fun to write a ResourceProvider for this but it's going to have to go to the bottom of my current list of things to get done in
Sling.

- Jason

On Wed, May 2, 2018, at 6:08 AM, Stefan Seifert wrote:

> hello jason.
>
> if you are using oak you might try the RDBDocumentStore [1] and
> RDBBlobStore [2] implementation (i've never used them myself).
>
> for using a lightweight approach accessing a RDBMS directly from a
> resource provider the is no support currently afaik.
> if you are looking for a generic storage of resource data in RDBMS the
> generic nosql support [3] might be a good starting point (although that
> is a bit outdated as well and I assume not much used in practice). if
> you want to write a specific resource provider for a "real data model"
> stored in RDBMS i did a very rough prototype some years ago, but never
> used it in real life [4].
>
> stefan
>
> [1]
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/document/rdb/RDBDocumentStore.html
> [2]
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/document/rdb/RDBBlobStore.html
> [3]
> https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/nosql-resource-providers.html
> [4] https://adapt.to/2012/en/schedule/apache-sling-rdbms-mapping.html

Re: SQL Resource Provider?

klcodanr
I've been down the path BTW Jason, fun may not be the best description ;-)
Granted this was about 4 years ago now so who knows what has changed. The
biggest problem I had, by far, was that the proprietary API I needed to use
was based on the assumption that it was dealing with JCR backed resources.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 8:33 AM, Jason E Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thought that would be the answer. I'll check out the prototype, thanks.
>
> It'll be fun to write a ResourceProvider for this but it's going to have
> to go to the bottom of my current list of things to get done in
> Sling.
>
> - Jason
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2018, at 6:08 AM, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> > hello jason.
> >
> > if you are using oak you might try the RDBDocumentStore [1] and
> > RDBBlobStore [2] implementation (i've never used them myself).
> >
> > for using a lightweight approach accessing a RDBMS directly from a
> > resource provider the is no support currently afaik.
> > if you are looking for a generic storage of resource data in RDBMS the
> > generic nosql support [3] might be a good starting point (although that
> > is a bit outdated as well and I assume not much used in practice). if
> > you want to write a specific resource provider for a "real data model"
> > stored in RDBMS i did a very rough prototype some years ago, but never
> > used it in real life [4].
> >
> > stefan
> >
> > [1]
> > http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jac
> krabbit/oak/plugins/document/rdb/RDBDocumentStore.html
> > [2]
> > http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jac
> krabbit/oak/plugins/document/rdb/RDBBlobStore.html
> > [3]
> > https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/nosql-resourc
> e-providers.html
> > [4] https://adapt.to/2012/en/schedule/apache-sling-rdbms-mapping.html

Re: SQL Resource Provider?

Jason E Bailey-2
I'd be in a little bit of a better situation.  My team would be the ones creating the widgets that interact with it. Have to say, over the last couple of years there's been an attempt to abstract the JCR part of the ResourceProvider out and focus more on resources which I take as a good sign

- Jason