Sling Slack Channel

Cris Rockwell-2
Hi Sling Users

Is there a community chat platform like Slack or gitter for Sling users and developers?

Cris

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Robert Munteanu-2
Hi Cris,

On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 11:03 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
> Hi Sling Users
>
> Is there a community chat platform like Slack or gitter for Sling
> users and developers?

Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
eventually abandoned the idea.

[1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E

> Cris

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Cris Rockwell-2
I’ve read thread [1] and have a few observations:

1. It happened on the Sling Dev email list. Sling Dev has too many daily emails. The context and substance of most messages are difficult to understand unless you’re already fully entrenched. I unsubscribed pretty quick. It is not the best platform for all collaboration across the project community.

2. To summarize the respondents of thread [1] every non-Adobe responder in the thread wanted Slack. Adobe already has a company chat platform. More collaboration across organizational boundaries would be a good thing for the project.

3. There was no vote. Why don’t we use the decision making process for Apache Software Foundation projects [2]?

Let’s put it to a vote and let the Sling Users have a say. Respond with +1 if you want a Slack Workspace for the Sling Community. Of course use of Slack is optional, so there is no need to vote against. Don’t join unless you want to!

Cris Rockwell
Applications Architect Sr
College of Literature, Science, and the Arts | University of Michigan
LSA Technology Services | 301 E Liberty Suite 500 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Desk: 734.763.6818 | Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

[2]:  https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making>

> On Apr 20, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Robert Munteanu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Cris,
>
> On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 11:03 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
>> Hi Sling Users
>>
>> Is there a community chat platform like Slack or gitter for Sling
>> users and developers?
>
> Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
> eventually abandoned the idea.

> [1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E>
>

>> Cris

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Daniel Klco-2
Chris,

I agree, I'd be 100% on board with a Slack channel for Sling. A couple
thoughts:

 - There is already a slack org for the ASF: the-asf.slack.com we could use
rather than setting up another slack org
 - We probably should call a formal vote rather than asking for replies in
this thread

Regards,
Dan

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Cris Rockwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve read thread [1] and have a few observations:
>
> 1. It happened on the Sling Dev email list. Sling Dev has too many daily
> emails. The context and substance of most messages are difficult to
> understand unless you’re already fully entrenched. I unsubscribed pretty
> quick. It is not the best platform for all collaboration across the project
> community.
>
> 2. To summarize the respondents of thread [1] every non-Adobe responder in
> the thread wanted Slack. Adobe already has a company chat platform. More
> collaboration across organizational boundaries would be a good thing for
> the project.
>
> 3. There was no vote. Why don’t we use the decision making process for
> Apache Software Foundation projects [2]?
>
> Let’s put it to a vote and let the Sling Users have a say. Respond with +1
> if you want a Slack Workspace for the Sling Community. Of course use of
> Slack is optional, so there is no need to vote against. Don’t join unless
> you want to!
>
> Cris Rockwell
> Applications Architect Sr
> College of Literature, Science, and the Arts | University of Michigan
> LSA Technology Services | 301 E Liberty Suite 500 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104
> Desk: 734.763.6818 | Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> [2]:  https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making
> <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making>
>

> > On Apr 20, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Robert Munteanu <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Cris,
> >
> > On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 11:03 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
> >> Hi Sling Users
> >>
> >> Is there a community chat platform like Slack or gitter for Sling
> >> users and developers?
> >
> > Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
> > eventually abandoned the idea.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert
> >
> > [1]:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
> <
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
> >

> >> Cris

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Roy Teeuwen
+1

> On 21 Apr 2020, at 18:57, Daniel Klco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Chris,
>
> I agree, I'd be 100% on board with a Slack channel for Sling. A couple
> thoughts:
>
> - There is already a slack org for the ASF: the-asf.slack.com we could use
> rather than setting up another slack org
> - We probably should call a formal vote rather than asking for replies in
> this thread
>
> Regards,
> Dan
>

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Cris Rockwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’ve read thread [1] and have a few observations:
>>
>> 1. It happened on the Sling Dev email list. Sling Dev has too many daily
>> emails. The context and substance of most messages are difficult to
>> understand unless you’re already fully entrenched. I unsubscribed pretty
>> quick. It is not the best platform for all collaboration across the project
>> community.
>>
>> 2. To summarize the respondents of thread [1] every non-Adobe responder in
>> the thread wanted Slack. Adobe already has a company chat platform. More
>> collaboration across organizational boundaries would be a good thing for
>> the project.
>>
>> 3. There was no vote. Why don’t we use the decision making process for
>> Apache Software Foundation projects [2]?
>>
>> Let’s put it to a vote and let the Sling Users have a say. Respond with +1
>> if you want a Slack Workspace for the Sling Community. Of course use of
>> Slack is optional, so there is no need to vote against. Don’t join unless
>> you want to!
>>
>> Cris Rockwell
>> Applications Architect Sr
>> College of Literature, Science, and the Arts | University of Michigan
>> LSA Technology Services | 301 E Liberty Suite 500 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104
>> Desk: 734.763.6818 | Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> [2]:  https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making
>> <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making>
>>

>>> On Apr 20, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Robert Munteanu <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Cris,

>>> Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
>>> eventually abandoned the idea.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> [1]:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
>> <
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Cris Rockwell-2
Seems a #Sling channel there on The ASF workspace is an excellent option.

Using the link below, you can register for The ASF Slack and gain access after confirming your email.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Slack+Guest+Invites <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Slack+Guest+Invites>

Browse for the #sling channel, and join if you want!

Best regards
Cris

> [...]
>> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Cris,

>>> Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
>>> eventually abandoned the idea.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> [1]:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E>
>> <
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E>

Re: Sling Slack Channel

I'm a little bit astonished and concerned how you make a connection
between opinions of valued community members and a company. I think this
is neither fair nor plays a role here.

If the community wants to give it a try, there is nothing wrong with it.
But I think for a slack channel to work you need a critical mass of
active people.

On 21.04.2020 18:07, Cris Rockwell wrote:

> I’ve read thread [1] and have a few observations:
>
> 1. It happened on the Sling Dev email list. Sling Dev has too many daily emails. The context and substance of most messages are difficult to understand unless you’re already fully entrenched. I unsubscribed pretty quick. It is not the best platform for all collaboration across the project community.
>
> 2. To summarize the respondents of thread [1] every non-Adobe responder in the thread wanted Slack. Adobe already has a company chat platform. More collaboration across organizational boundaries would be a good thing for the project.
>
> 3. There was no vote. Why don’t we use the decision making process for Apache Software Foundation projects [2]?
>
> Let’s put it to a vote and let the Sling Users have a say. Respond with +1 if you want a Slack Workspace for the Sling Community. Of course use of Slack is optional, so there is no need to vote against. Don’t join unless you want to!
>
> Cris Rockwell
> Applications Architect Sr
> College of Literature, Science, and the Arts | University of Michigan
> LSA Technology Services | 301 E Liberty Suite 500 | Ann Arbor, MI 48104
> Desk: 734.763.6818 | Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> [2]:  https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making>
>

>> On Apr 20, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Robert Munteanu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Cris,
>>
>> On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 11:03 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
>>> Hi Sling Users
>>>
>>> Is there a community chat platform like Slack or gitter for Sling
>>> users and developers?
>>
>> Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
>> eventually abandoned the idea.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> [1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E>
>>

>>> Cris

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Hi Cris,

On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 12:07 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
> I’ve read thread [1] and have a few observations:
>
> 1. It happened on the Sling Dev email list. Sling Dev has too many
> daily emails. The context and substance of most messages are
> difficult to understand unless you’re already fully entrenched. I
> unsubscribed pretty quick. It is not the best platform for all
> collaboration across the project community.

That's good feedback, thank you. What would you suggest to make this
list friendlier to those how are not fully entrenched? Is it volume? Is
it lack of response to 'simpler' questions? Something else?

> 2. To summarize the respondents of thread [1] every non-Adobe
> responder in the thread wanted Slack. Adobe already has a company
> chat platform. More collaboration across organizational boundaries
> would be a good thing for the project.

Like Carsten said, I don't think that's a fair characterisation. In my
(personal, biased) opinion, the contributors from Adobe are the least
susceptible ones of using direct messaging inside Adobe to discuss
Sling issues.

Looks a lot like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem . If you
disagree with the arguments that were brought up, please do so. But
let's keep the people out of this.

> 3. There was no vote. Why don’t we use the decision making process
> for Apache Software Foundation projects [2]?
>
> Let’s put it to a vote and let the Sling Users have a say. Respond
> with +1 if you want a Slack Workspace for the Sling Community. Of
> course use of Slack is optional, so there is no need to vote against.
> Don’t join unless you want to!

I'm not sure putting it to a vote is the best way of doing that. There
were arguments against the Slack channel that were not discussed
further. The decision-making-process from your link indicates that

   This process is called "consensus gathering" and we consider it a
   very important indication of a healthy community.

Note that consensus != majority != unanimity.

That being said, if you think that a Slack channel is a good asset for
the Sling community, feel free to start one and make use of it. It
would be interesting to see how this evolves in the long run.

Just be aware that - as the thread on dev@sling indicates - that a
significant amount of Sling contributors prefer asychronous
communication and will likely not be great contributors to a Slack
channel.

> Cris Rockwell
> Applications Architect Sr
> College of Literature, Science, and the Arts | University of
> Michigan
> LSA Technology Services | 301 E Liberty Suite 500 | Ann Arbor, MI
> 48104
> Desk: 734.763.6818 | Email: [hidden email] <mailto:
> [hidden email]>
>
> [2]:
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making <
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making>
>

> > On Apr 20, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Robert Munteanu <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Cris,
> >
> > On Sat, 2020-04-18 at 11:03 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
> > > Hi Sling Users
> > >
> > > Is there a community chat platform like Slack or gitter for Sling
> > > users and developers?
> >
> > Not at the moment. See also [1] where we had this discussion and
> > eventually abandoned the idea.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
> > <
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19665a94cb17d9b7607eb9c5fe4c91cfa1df8eed55219f2db9b53f05%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
> > >

> > > Cris

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Sergiu Dumitriu
On 4/22/20 1:04 PM, Robert Munteanu wrote:

> Hi Cris,
>
> On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 12:07 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
>> I’ve read thread [1] and have a few observations:
>>
>> 1. It happened on the Sling Dev email list. Sling Dev has too many
>> daily emails. The context and substance of most messages are
>> difficult to understand unless you’re already fully entrenched. I
>> unsubscribed pretty quick. It is not the best platform for all
>> collaboration across the project community.
>
> That's good feedback, thank you. What would you suggest to make this
> list friendlier to those how are not fully entrenched? Is it volume? Is
> it lack of response to 'simpler' questions? Something else?

There is indeed a volume issue, and personally I think it's from the
fact that the list doesn't contain just direct email discussions, but
also all notifications from github and jira. In some projects, there is
a dedicated notifications@ (or something similar) for these emails, and
only those that really want to check everything can subscribe to it.

I'm not saying that it is a good change, just presenting a possibility.
The downside is that developer discussions often happen not on the devs
list, but through Pull Request or issue comments.

Re: Sling Slack Channel

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 9:00 PM Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...There is indeed a volume issue, and personally I think it's from the
> fact that the list doesn't contain just direct email discussions, but
> also all notifications from github and jira...

Those should be easy to filter to different mail folders if you need
that - or is there something missing to do that?

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Cris Rockwell-2
Hello again

I apologize my insensitive remarks. When I stated "every non-Adobe responder in the thread wanted Slack,” while an accurate observation, I was wrong for saying it that way. I didn’t mean anything nasty by it. Teammates within any organization have a natural communication advantage over external contributors. There are many ways to connect when you're in the same organization; be it the lunch-line or the company chat. For us there is one way, email, and I’m obviously terrible at that. Either I’m jerk or dumbass, in this case it was both. I just noticed that members external to your organization were repeatedly asking for better ways to connect and collaborate. I felt the responses made sense, but lacked empathy to the communication gap being identified. I also apologize for wasting everyone’s time with this email drama. All I want is to just move on, close my email client, and to run maven. Nevertheless, I would be thrilled if anyone chatted me Hi on the ASF #sling channel.

Sincerely
Cris

> On Apr 22, 2020, at 1:04 PM, Robert Munteanu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> every non-Adobe
>> responder in the thread wanted Slack

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Robert Munteanu-2
Hi Cris,

I definitely read your email the wrong way, so I apologise for that.

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 03:54 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:

(snip)
> Teammates within any organization have a natural communication
> advantage over external contributors. There are many ways to connect
> when you're in the same organization; be it the lunch-line or the
> company chat.

Agreed. To be honest, I have not considered that you meant that it that
way since I view direct messaging, such as Slack, as mostly a
distraction for development work. Good for operational work, good for a
quick question, but not that good for a development channel.

As a fun fact, I rarely interact with my Sling colleagues face-to-face
or via Slack. Our team is distributed and keen on email. And these
days, I guess we see each other even less. The adaptTo() conference
probably is probably the only time we actually get together in a room.

(snip)

> I just noticed that members external to your organization were
> repeatedly asking for better ways to connect and collaborate. I felt
> the responses made sense, but lacked empathy to the communication gap
> being identified.

Understood, thank you for pointing that out. Let's see how this Slack
experiment works out. Hopefully for the best :-)

dev@sling too noisy? ( was: Sling Slack Channel)

(Note subject change and moving ofer to dev@sling, please keep relies
there).

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 09:47 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 9:00 PM Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > ...There is indeed a volume issue, and personally I think it's from
> > the
> > fact that the list doesn't contain just direct email discussions,
> > but
> > also all notifications from github and jira...
>
> Those should be easy to filter to different mail folders if you need
> that - or is there something missing to do that?

Well, I do filter those. Question is whether there is something that we
want to ask everyone to do? We currently have dev@ and commits@, which
contain:

dev@
- VOTE threads
- Discussions
- JIRA activity
- GitHub pull request activity
- Jenkins notifications

commits@
- github activity (well, via gitbox)
- Nexus Staging activity
- SVN commits ( dist.apache.org )

My assumption would be that too much 'noisy' traffic on dev@ is not
welcoming to contributors. An idea would be to reshuffle move over some
things from dev@ to commits@ .

Re: Sling Slack Channel

Thanks Cris,

really appreciated and no worries; I don't think this thread is a waste
of time. Its good if the community voices their opinions