Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

I'm thinking of three proposals for projects that could be done as
part of GSoC [1]:

1) Add a Scala "scripting" engine to Sling, complete with automated
tests, a tutorial and a demo app.
Michael Duerig [2] (who's IMHO Day's resident Scala expert) says he's
willing to help me mentor that one. He's not a Sling committer, but I
think all community members are welcome to help as long as a committer
or two are the official mentors.

2) Create a JCR explorer based on Sling and dojo

3) Create an example app for Sling - for this one I propose that we
let students suggest exactly what kind of application they'd like to
implement, and we could have several students work on different apps,
depending on how much project slots we get.

Would other committers be interested in mentoring or co-mentoring 2) and 3) ?

Comments are welcome about the projects themselves, of course.

-Bertrand

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008
[2] http://michid.wordpress.com/

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... I'm thinking of three proposals for projects that could be done as
>  part of GSoC [1]:...

Another one that I forgot: expand the test coverage of Sling by
creating more automated tests, especially involving loading, unloading
and reconfiguring OSGi bundles during testing.

That might be something for the Felix project instead, if one of our
committers who are also committers there would be interested.

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Tobias Bocanegra
hi,
i would be happy to mentor the JCR explorer.
regards, toby

--
-----------------------------------------< [hidden email] >---
T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97
-----------------------------------------------< http://www.day.com >---

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Tobias Bocanegra
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... i would be happy to mentor the JCR explorer....

Cool!

We'll need a committer to be the "official" mentor, but I think it is
ok to list you as a co-mentor, as you're an active member of the Sling
community.

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Thilina Buddhika
I am really interested in building the JCR explorer based on Sling and dojo.
And of course I would like to do it as a GSoC project.

I appreciate, if you could provide with some more information and guidelines
to refine this idea a little bit further.

thanks in advance.

BR,
Thilina

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Tobias Bocanegra
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ... i would be happy to mentor the JCR explorer....
>
> Cool!
>
> We'll need a committer to be the "official" mentor, but I think it is
> ok to list you as a co-mentor, as you're an active member of the Sling
> community.

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Lars Trieloff
Hi Thilina,

this sounds like you could make use of the Sling Dojo classes I wrote: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-301
  I am planning to improve them in the next two days, so I am very
interested in your feedback.

regards,

Lars

--
Lars Trieloff
[hidden email]

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Thilina Buddhika
Sure. Great news. I am playing around with Sling and dojo these days. I'll
give my feedback on them.

BR,
Thilina

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Thilina Buddhika <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...I am really interested in building the JCR explorer based on Sling and dojo.
>  And of course I would like to do it as a GSoC project....

Good to know!

Note that GSoC hasn't officially started for us, the participating
organizations will be confirmed on March 17th.

But that shouldn't prevent you from starting to study the problem if
you want - I'd suggest taking a look at existing JCR explorers, there
are some links to such tools at
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/JcrLinks .

The basic features of a JCR explorer are IMHO to allow browsing the
repository, CRUD operations on nodes and properties, searching nodes,
file uploads and downloads, and admin features.

I think for Sling, this project could as well be an example/reference
application as a useful tool.

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Torgeir Veimo

On 13 Mar 2008, at 12:59, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> The basic features of a JCR explorer are IMHO to allow browsing the
> repository, CRUD operations on nodes and properties, searching nodes,
> file uploads and downloads, and admin features.
>
> I think for Sling, this project could as well be an example/reference
> application as a useful tool.

How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? A JCR
explorer is of course a useful tool, but having a defined, formal
protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
repositories.

--
Torgeir Veimo

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Torgeir Veimo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? ...

Doesn't have to be "instead" IMHO, that sounds like a totally
different project, isn't it?

> ...having a defined, formal
>  protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
>  thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
>  repositories....

Do you mean formalizing/clarifying what Sling does with ujax, etc?

Or rather defining a new protocol, REST-based I assume?

If you're thinking about the latter, I'm not sure if it's in scope for
Sling, that might be more a Jackrabbit project, IMHO.

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Torgeir Veimo-2

On 13 Mar 2008, at 13:18, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Torgeir Veimo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> ... How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? ...
>
> Doesn't have to be "instead" IMHO, that sounds like a totally
> different project, isn't it?
>
>> ...having a defined, formal
>> protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
>> thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
>> repositories....
>
> Do you mean formalizing/clarifying what Sling does with ujax, etc?
>
> Or rather defining a new protocol, REST-based I assume?
>
> If you're thinking about the latter, I'm not sure if it's in scope for
> Sling, that might be more a Jackrabbit project, IMHO.

I was thinking more of in the context of GSoC.

Sling would be an ideal environment to implement a prototype for such
a protocol.

--
Torgeir Veimo

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Torgeir Veimo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... Sling would be an ideal environment to implement a prototype for such
>  a protocol....

Ok, I see the idea.

I'll be busy with the other projects I guess, but if another committer
wants to step up to be the official mentor on this (community members
are welcome to help anyway), why not.

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Hi Torgeir,

Am Donnerstag, den 13.03.2008, 13:08 +0000 schrieb Torgeir Veimo:

> On 13 Mar 2008, at 12:59, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> > The basic features of a JCR explorer are IMHO to allow browsing the
> > repository, CRUD operations on nodes and properties, searching nodes,
> > file uploads and downloads, and admin features.
> >
> > I think for Sling, this project could as well be an example/reference
> > application as a useful tool.
>

> How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? A JCR
> explorer is of course a useful tool, but having a defined, formal
> protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
> thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
> repositories.

I am not sure, whether I understand you correctly. Currently the
Jackrabbit protocol has an RMI library, which allows plain-JCR remoting
over RMI. In addition there is a simple WebDAV servlet, which allows
filesystem-like access over WebDAV to the repository and there is a JCR
WebDAV servlet, which in fact remotes the JCR API over WebDAV using
defined WebDAV functionality such as DASL etc.

So, I would be very interested what we could add here ;-) As such, I
would be willing to mentor such task.

On 13 Mar 2008, at 15:49, Felix Meschberger wrote:

>> How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? A JCR
>> explorer is of course a useful tool, but having a defined, formal
>> protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
>> thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
>> repositories.
>
> I am not sure, whether I understand you correctly. Currently the
> Jackrabbit protocol has an RMI library, which allows plain-JCR
> remoting
> over RMI. In addition there is a simple WebDAV servlet, which allows
> filesystem-like access over WebDAV to the repository and there is a
> JCR
> WebDAV servlet, which in fact remotes the JCR API over WebDAV using
> defined WebDAV functionality such as DASL etc.

The webdav protocol doesn't map fully to the JCR data model. And RMI
is not really that useful when the client is not a Java client.

But I guess it opens up a lot of questions, I guess. How do you send
JCR data over the wire? XML or JSON?

--
Torgeir Veimo

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Tobias Bocanegra
>  >> How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? A JCR
>  >> explorer is of course a useful tool, but having a defined, formal
>  >> protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
>  >> thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
>  >> repositories.
>  >
>  > I am not sure, whether I understand you correctly. Currently the
>  > Jackrabbit protocol has an RMI library, which allows plain-JCR
>  > remoting
>  > over RMI. In addition there is a simple WebDAV servlet, which allows
>  > filesystem-like access over WebDAV to the repository and there is a
>  > JCR
>  > WebDAV servlet, which in fact remotes the JCR API over WebDAV using
>  > defined WebDAV functionality such as DASL etc.
>

> The webdav protocol doesn't map fully to the JCR data model. And RMI
>  is not really that useful when the client is not a Java client.
>
>  But I guess it opens up a lot of questions, I guess. How do you send
>  JCR data over the wire? XML or JSON?
afaik there are already some drafts of implementing the JCR SPI using
rjax. but this would rather be a jackrabbit GSoC topic, right?

regards, toby
-----------------------------------------------< http://www.day.com >---

Am Donnerstag, den 13.03.2008, 17:58 +0000 schrieb Torgeir Veimo:

> On 13 Mar 2008, at 15:49, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>

> >> How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? A JCR
> >> explorer is of course a useful tool, but having a defined, formal
> >> protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
> >> thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
> >> repositories.
> >
> > I am not sure, whether I understand you correctly. Currently the
> > Jackrabbit protocol has an RMI library, which allows plain-JCR
> > remoting
> > over RMI. In addition there is a simple WebDAV servlet, which allows
> > filesystem-like access over WebDAV to the repository and there is a
> > JCR
> > WebDAV servlet, which in fact remotes the JCR API over WebDAV using
> > defined WebDAV functionality such as DASL etc.
>

> The webdav protocol doesn't map fully to the JCR data model. And RMI
> is not really that useful when the client is not a Java client.

Right. So you would target other languages. A possible candidate jumping
to my mind would be Hession [1]

> But I guess it opens up a lot of questions, I guess. How do you send
> JCR data over the wire? XML or JSON?

RMI uses plain old java serialization using home-grown remote objects
and WebDAV of course uses XML.

[1] http://hessian.caucho.com/

Am Donnerstag, den 13.03.2008, 18:28 -0700 schrieb Tobias Bocanegra:

> >  >> How about defining a formal remote protocol for JCR instead? A JCR
> >  >> explorer is of course a useful tool, but having a defined, formal
> >  >> protocol to interact with a JCR repository would be ideal. I'm
> >  >> thinking something similar to webdav but more appropriate for JCR
> >  >> repositories.
> >  >
> >  > I am not sure, whether I understand you correctly. Currently the
> >  > Jackrabbit protocol has an RMI library, which allows plain-JCR
> >  > remoting
> >  > over RMI. In addition there is a simple WebDAV servlet, which allows
> >  > filesystem-like access over WebDAV to the repository and there is a
> >  > JCR
> >  > WebDAV servlet, which in fact remotes the JCR API over WebDAV using
> >  > defined WebDAV functionality such as DASL etc.
> >

> > The webdav protocol doesn't map fully to the JCR data model. And RMI
> >  is not really that useful when the client is not a Java client.
> >
> >  But I guess it opens up a lot of questions, I guess. How do you send
> >  JCR data over the wire? XML or JSON?
> afaik there are already some drafts of implementing the JCR SPI using
> rjax. but this would rather be a jackrabbit GSoC topic, right?

Yes, this is probably right.

> regards, toby

Re: Sling projects and mentors for GSoC?

Thilina Buddhika
I looked at some available JCR explorers. I studied a bit, the web based JCR
exlporer availble at http://www.jcr-explorer.org/. They seemed to have used
JNDI for locating repositories available in the network. And I am further
studying it. I think that this is  the  best place  to  start  my work. What
do you think ?

thanks!

regs,
Thilina

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Thilina Buddhika <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... I looked at some available JCR explorers. I studied a bit, the web based JCR
>  exlporer availble at http://www.jcr-explorer.org/. They seemed to have used
>  JNDI for locating repositories available in the network. And I am further
>  studying it. I think that this is  the  best place  to  start  my work. What
>  do you think ?...

For a JCR explorer based on Sling, you won't need to worry about that
- Sling will provide a Repository.

Apart from that, the explorer that you mention is certainly good to
study in terms of features.

-Bertrand