Sling10 WEB-INF\resources\bundles\ vs WEB-INF\resources\install\

Sling10 WEB-INF\resources\bundles\ vs WEB-INF\resources\install\

Manikanta Thumu
Hi All,

In org.apache.sling.starter-10-webapp.war, We have two separate folders
containing bundles i.e.  WEB-INF\resources\bundles\ and
WEB-INF\resources\install.

What is the idea behind or the advantages of using these two separate
folders and not a single folder say WEB-INF\resources\bundles\?

I could not find any documentation for the same.If there is any existing
documentation that answers this question, you can just point me to that.

Thanks in advance,

Manikanta

Re: Sling10 WEB-INF\resources\bundles\ vs WEB-INF\resources\install\

Robert Munteanu-2
Hi Manikanta,

On Mon, 2018-08-13 at 17:21 +0530, Manikanta Thumu wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> In org.apache.sling.starter-10-webapp.war, We have two separate
> folders
> containing bundles i.e.  WEB-INF\resources\bundles\ and
> WEB-INF\resources\install.
>
> What is the idea behind or the advantages of using these two separate
> folders and not a single folder say WEB-INF\resources\bundles\?

My understanding is that this is an internal implementation detail of
the feature launcher.

In the 'bundles' directory you find resources that are part of the
'boot' feature, which is the minimum set of bundles need to boostrap
Sling.

Once the initial bootstrap is done, Sling's OSGi installer will pick up
bundles in the 'install' folder, and also folders named
'installer.XXX', where 'XXX' is an active run mode and install them
based on the start level.

Hope this helps, and if not clear let me know and I'll dig some more.

Robert