What are the best practices used in Sling.

What are the best practices used in Sling.

janandith jayawardena
Hi ,

I would like to know about the development process and best practices used
in Sling.

Specially,

1. If there is any preferred coding standard used.

2. How to submit my work for review.

3. How to report bugs , errors , warnings.

and any other best practices , procedures etc.

janandith.

Re: What are the best practices used in Sling.

Felix Meschberger-2
Hi Janandith,

Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 00:48 +0600 schrieb janandith jayawardena:
> I would like to know about the development process and best practices used
> in Sling.

The single most best practice is: Have Fun ;-)

> 1. If there is any preferred coding standard used.

We have no special coding standard. As such we generally adhere to the
default one set up in our favourite IDE (mine would be Eclipse). These
should generally be based on the Coding Standards published by Sun at
[1]. I would assume that this is a safe-bet.

One important notice, though: We use Maven 2 as our build system. So any
project/module you will submit, should be accompanied with a POM file.

> 2. How to submit my work for review.

Best is to create a JIRA [2] issue and attach your code there. All
submitted source files must be tagged with the ASL2 license header (as
are the Sling source files) and your attachements must be marked as
being usable by Sling (Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works).

I also suggest you submit a CLA [3,4] to the ASF.

> 3. How to report bugs , errors , warnings.

Bugs are reported to JIRA, too. If you are unsure whether a behaviour
you encounter is really a bug or something else (maybe the flapping
wings of a butterfly in the pacific ocean), don't hesitate to post to
the list.

> and any other best practices , procedures etc.

There is plenty of documentation on contributing to ASF projects in
general available from [5]. But for now, this is probably it.

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING
[3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
[4] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
[5] http://www.apache.org/dev

Re: What are the best practices used in Sling.

gertv
Janandith,

Congratulations on your GSoC project!
If you're looking for an example of a Maven pom.xml for use with Scala,
we have one in Apache Camel [1]

Regards,

Gert

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/camel/trunk/components/camel-scala/pom.xml

Felix Meschberger wrote:
> One important notice, though: We use Maven 2 as our build system. So any
> project/module you will submit, should be accompanied with a POM file.

Re: What are the best practices used in Sling.

janandith jayawardena
Hi Felix, Gert,

Thanks a lot Felix i will look into the references.

Thanks Gert for your wishes and the link. I will have a look at the POM
file. :-).

regards,
janandith.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Felix Meschberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 00:48 +0600 schrieb janandith jayawardena:
>
>  >.... 1. If there is any preferred coding standard used.
>
>  We have no special coding standard. As such we generally adhere to the
>  default one set up in our favourite IDE (mine would be Eclipse). These
>  should generally be based on the Coding Standards published by Sun at
>  [1]. I would assume that this is a safe-bet....

Although we don't have an explicit standard ATM, I'd say that our code
is written using spaces instead tabs for indenting, and using two
spaces per indent level. That's not terribly important, but it makes
it easier to work on other people's code.

Re: What are the best practices used in Sling.

Carsten Ziegeler
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Felix Meschberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 00:48 +0600 schrieb janandith jayawardena:
>>
>>  >.... 1. If there is any preferred coding standard used.
>>
>>  We have no special coding standard. As such we generally adhere to the
>>  default one set up in our favourite IDE (mine would be Eclipse). These
>>  should generally be based on the Coding Standards published by Sun at
>>  [1]. I would assume that this is a safe-bet....
>
> Although we don't have an explicit standard ATM, I'd say that our code
> is written using spaces instead tabs for indenting, and using two
> spaces per indent level.
Well, it's actually four spaces for Java code :)

Carsten
 > That's not terribly important, but it makes
> it easier to work on other people's code.

Re: What are the best practices used in Sling.

janandith jayawardena
Hi Bertrand , Carsten,

Thanks a lot :-).

regards,